Thursday 14 May 2009

Bag Ladies

I've been trying to buy a new bag for months now but I can't seem to decide on which one. It's an serious undertaking after all. You're spending the equivalent of a city break on a piece of leather, which, though justifyable considering you'll carry it pretty much every day, means it needs to be right. The problem is that in this day and age of 'It' bags/'Anti-It' bags (yeah, whatever...) every bag you buy comes with an association. Let's dissect...

Mulberry: I was at Bicester Village/the Somerset factory/another unnamed outlet store and it was either this Bayswater or Tommy Hilfiger
Smythson: Bond Street dwelling, Tory voting yummy mummy. Funny that!
Anya Hindmarch: Ditto above. Unless you're a fashion editor. Then it's a freebie. 
Prada: You don't exactly love it but it's Prada. And that's a serious label. 
Miu Miu: You can't afford Prada. But you'll pretend this is the cooler, younger, hipper version. 
YSL: Congratulations. You got yourself on the 4-yearly fashion editor freebie cycle. But as it's a black Downtown (aka. 2005) aren't you due an upgrade? 
Chanel: I spent my redundancy cheque on this 2.55 so even though it holds barely more than my BlackBerry I'm sure as hell going to make sure it dangles from my shoulder. 
Marc by Marc Jacobs: I went to New York two years ago when the exchange rate was still good and bought the shop. 
Marc Jacobs: Ditto above. Only I'm richer. 

I've come to the conclusion I only have two options. High street or Alexander Wang's just-launched and therefore not-yet-high-profile-enough-to-become-hackneyed slouchy tote. Now where can I find £650? 

No comments:

Post a Comment