Sunday 31 January 2010

A beauty tutorial

Occasionally in my line of work you're called upon to be photographed. It's usually to illustrate a feature you're writing or inspire readers by showing that mere mortals can wear the new season fashion trends. (I'm still not convinced they'd much rather see models). But however much I've accepted it's one of the down-sides of my job - oh come on, you wouldn't like thinking your ex-boyfriend's new bird is one of 500,000+ people laughing at your crooked teeth- I'm always paralysed by fear. And so I found myself last week on a 'Get out of your beauty rut' shoot at Kentish Town's Spring Studios. (Only consolation it does the best sandwiches). To ease my fears, and distract myself from watching a make-up artist apply six layers of different types of red lipstick to my face in the mirror, I plied the team with my beauty questions. Here are a few of the gems of knowledge I picked up along the way:

  • To open up tired eyes line the inside of the upper lid with black powder eyeliner, using an angled brush. Note this makes your eyes water like hell at first but is totally worth it. I'm never applying eyeliner any other way.
  • If you smudge a nail before it's 100% dry just drip a drop of nail varnish remover onto the smudge, leave for 60 seconds and add another layer of polish. Full-proof!
  • Never use Elizabeth Arden's 8 Hour Cream on your lips as the oil in it dries them out. Instead try REN's organic lipgloss or Australian (and v cheap) balm Lucas's PawPaw.
Unfortunately I didn't learn how to 'work it' in front of the camera. Still, there's always next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment